Where to start in finding a new home for you or a loved one
Life in a Retirement Home can be an amazing new chapter in someone’s life. Retirement living can offer new friendships and new experiences.
If you or someone you love has started to think that it is time for a change, here are some suggestions for making your choice.
- List your reasons for moving. This will help you define the sort of services you will be looking for in a new living arrangement.
- List your “must haves” – what are the most important things that you like about your current lifestyle? Perhaps it is gardening, having family over or setting your own schedule. These “must haves” might relate to having a separate bedroom and living area, or plenty of closet space.
- Put together a list of questions to ask. Click here for a sample “Retirement Residence Checklist” to help guide you.
- Call and get some initial information and schedule a tour.
- Be sure to make a return visit. Bring your friends and family members with you to get their thoughts.
- Speak to residents – ask how they enjoy their life in the retirement home.
- If you’re uncertain, book a trial stay so you can be confident in your decision.
A lifestyle change can be difficult but it can also result in unexpected and welcome new things. Retirement living may be just that for you!