Long Term Care Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I learn more about Long Term Care Homes in my area?
Please contact your Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) office.
How do I move into a Long Term Care Home?
All applications and admission to long-term care homes are arranged by Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs). These services used to be provided through Community Care Access Centres – or CCACs. Your local LHIN will help you every step of the way. LHIN staff will:
- determine your eligibility
- tell you about homes in your area
- tell you about costs
- help you apply
- enter your postal code online
- call 310-2222 (no area code required if in Ontario)
Are there waiting lists for Long Term Care Homes?
There are significant wait lists for Long Term Care in most areas of the province. The length of your wait is dependent upon which Home and the type of accommodation you have selected.
What kinds of services are provided in Long Term Care Homes?
You can expect to receive the following services in a Long Term Care Home:
- shared dining room, TV rooms and other living areas
- nursing and personal care on a 24-hour basis
- access to health professionals
- individual care plan (reviewed every 3 months)
- furnishings (e.g., bed and chair)
- meals (including special diets)
- bed linens and laundry
- personal hygiene supplies
- individualized religious and spiritual services
- social and recreational programs
- medical services
- assistance with activities of daily living
How much does it cost to live in a Long Term Care Home?
The cost of living in a Long Term Care Home is mandated by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and is consistent across the province. You can find the current rates on the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website: health.gov.on.ca
What possessions do I bring to a Long Term Care Home?
Most people bring items of a personal nature such as photos, artwork, a favourite afghan or bedspread, etc. Ask the Long Term Care Home you are considering about any specific items you would like to bring.