Registered Practical Nurse – All Locations!
peopleCare has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the seventh year in a row! We are a growing family-based organization in long-term care. We strive to exceed expectations. Our staff are engaged and enthusiastic about providing excellent care to our residents. We are constantly evolving and encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas. We are looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us.
peopleCare is once again Accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest award possible through Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. This notable distinction is thanks to the efforts of our outstanding team of skilled and dedicated individuals working collaboratively with our partners to drive excellence in operations, care and services. Noted as a great place to work, other strengths highlighted in our Report include peopleCare’s investment in leadership development and staff education, high level of engagement in our communities, and building meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships to address staffing shortages and drive positive systemic change.
These are exciting times at peopleCare, and we are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons and continue to open a new world of opportunities to honour our mission to change the world of Senior Living! Together we are raising the bar in changing the world of senior living as a Best Managed Company, by providing excellent care and creating meaningful experiences for residents, families, staff and partners.
We are looking for your talents and ideas. If you enjoy challenges, strive to increase efficiency, and enjoy working with people – then apply to the great opportunity below!
As a member of the peopleCare nursing team, this position works under the direction of the Registered Nurse and reports to the Director of Care while providing nursing and personal care to residents. In performing these duties, the individual may assume the duties of charge nurse in an assigned unit. The position complies with all legislative standards, company policies/procedures and rules/regulations in a professional manner.
Reports to: Director of Care/Director of Nursing
- Oversees and assists residents with daily routines and functions such as bathing, dressing, undressing and eat meals as required.
- Review 24-72 hour report at beginning of shift
- Follows and processes physician orders.
- Administers medications and treatments within the limitations set by the College of nurses.
- Observes and monitors conditions of residents and reports changes in physical or mental conditions to the Registered Nurse.
- Assures observance with required techniques in nursing care.
- Participates in the development and modification of resident’s plan of care.
- Assists in implementing/evaluating the effectiveness of the plans.
- Monitors resident’s health and notes any changes in condition appropriately.
- Assists in the maintenance of resident records, including documentation in compliance with established standards and legislative requirements.
- Cooperates in the provision of life enrichment programs for the residents.
- Participates in restorative care program.
- Notifies the Registered Nurse of incidents or accidents and completes appropriate forms.
- Assists in training and directing non-registered nursing staff in providing care to residents under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Collaborates with other members of the health care team.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship with other staff members.
- Participates in meetings and committees.
- Performs other related functions as directed by supervisor.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the unit under the direction of the Registered Nurse as required.
- Participates in the quality assurance process and on-going activities
- Participates in quality assurance meetings
- Complies with the quality assurance model
- Contributes to the performance assessment of non-registered nursing staff
- Follows all health and safety and safe work practices and guidelines.
- Identifies and corrects inappropriate work practices which may affect the health and safety of co-workers.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
- Complies with WSIB company policies and procedures.
- Reports any incident immediately to supervisor.
- Cooperates with the Return to Work program as identified by WSIB legislation as required.
- Complies with all computer confidentiality requirements.
- Reports function inconsistencies immediately to supervisor.
- Attends in-service education to maintain professional competency.
- Attends all mandatory education as provided by the company.
- Maintains up to date reflective practice requirements.
- Pursues on-going learning.
- Functions under direct supervision
- Assists providing direction and leadership to subordinates
- Acts on direction of physicians’ orders and prescribed standards
- No signing authority
- Access to highly confidential information
- Access to Point Click Care
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Current Medication Administration Certificate, or equivalent
- Current certificate of competency from the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- Experience in Long-Term Care considered an asset
- Registered with a regulatory body
- Experience working with seniors and unregulated care providers
- Education and/or experience in gerontology, rehabilitation, community/complex/long term care an asset
- Must possess strong written and oral communication, critical thinking, care coordination, time management and customer focus skills
- Skills in use of computer and Microsoft Office applications
Full Time, Part Time and Casual positions available