Personal Support Worker – All Locations!
peopleCare has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the eighth year in a row! We are a growing family-based organization in long-term care. We strive to exceed expectations. Our staff are engaged and enthusiastic about providing excellent care to our residents. We are constantly evolving and encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas. We are looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us.
peopleCare is once again Accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest award possible through Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. This notable distinction is thanks to the efforts of our outstanding team of skilled and dedicated individuals working collaboratively with our partners to drive excellence in operations, care and services. Noted as a great place to work, other strengths highlighted in our Report include peopleCare’s investment in leadership development and staff education, high level of engagement in our communities, and building meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships to address staffing shortages and drive positive systemic change.
These are exciting times at peopleCare, and we are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons and continue to open a new world of opportunities to honour our mission to change the world of Senior Living! Together we are raising the bar in changing the world of senior living as a Best Managed Company, by providing excellent care and creating meaningful experiences for residents, families, staff and partners.
We are looking for your talents and ideas. If you enjoy challenges, strive to increase efficiency, and enjoy working with people – then apply to the great opportunity below!
As a member of the nursing team, this position works under the direction of the Registered Nurse / Registered Practical Nurse while providing personal care to residents in assigned areas in accordance with individual resident care plans. The position complies with all legislative standards, company policies/procedures and rules/regulations in a professional manner.
Reports to: Registered Nurse/Registered Practical Nurse
- Under the direction of the registered nursing staff, provides personal care to promote the comfort and safety of residents. Some typical activities include bathing, skin care, toileting, mouth care, dressing/undressing, grooming, shaving, nail and hair care. Provides physical assistance to residents as required.
- Under direction, performs selected procedures such as administering enemas and suppositories, collecting specimens and recording vital signs. Reports all findings to registered staff.
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean, safe environment. Some typical activities include making beds, cleaning bedside units, collecting/bagging soiled linen for dispatch to laundry, sorting and storing clean linen, emptying bedpans and removal of unsafe objects etc.
- Consults with and informs supervisor of unit activities, needs and problems related to resident care.
- Assists in providing restorative care for residents, assists with ambulation, nutritional needs and palliative care.
- Encourages participation in life enrichment programs by preparing residents for and assisting them to and from activities.
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer of residents.
- Assists with meal service to residents and provides feeding assistance as required.
- Provides emotional/social support for residents.
- Assists in the maintenance and proper care of nursing equipment.
- Participates in resident care conferences and committees as required.
- Documents resident care activities in accordance with the home’s policy using software such as PCC.
- Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment and infection control.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Every new employee hired by peopleCare to work as a PSW must have successfully completed a Personal Support Worker program that meets requirements of Long Term Care Health Act: Reg. 47 or meet the criteria in 47(3).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Experience in Long-Term Care considered an asset
- Food Handler certification
- First Aid certification
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer focus skills
- Must have demonstrated sound skills and knowledge of providing personal care duties
- Ability to perform tasks that are necessary for the position, e.g. lifting/transferring clients
Full Time, Part Time and Casual positions available