Human Resources Specialist
peopleCare has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the seventh year in a row! We are a growing family-based organization in long-term care. We strive to exceed expectations. Our staff are engaged and enthusiastic about providing excellent care to our residents. We are constantly evolving and encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas. We are looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us.
peopleCare is once again Accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest award possible through Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. This notable distinction is thanks to the efforts of our outstanding team of skilled and dedicated individuals working collaboratively with our partners to drive excellence in operations, care, and services. Noted as a great place to work, other strengths highlighted in our Report include peopleCare’s investment in leadership development and staff education, high level of engagement in our communities, and building meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships to address staffing shortages and drive positive systemic change.
These are exciting times at peopleCare, and we are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons and continue to open a new world of opportunities to honour our mission to change the world of Senior Living! Together we are raising the bar in changing the world of senior living as a Best Managed Company, by providing excellent care and creating meaningful experiences for residents, families, staff, and partners. We are looking for your talents and ideas. If you enjoy challenges, strive to increase efficiency, and enjoy working with people – then apply to the great opportunity below!
The Human Resources Specialist is detail-oriented with a passion for creating a fair, positive working environment and facilitating communication between employees and managers. Human Resources Specialist performs HR-related duties on a professional level and carries out responsibilities in performance management, recruitment/employment, onboarding, employment law compliance, labour negotiations and policy implementation. The Human Resources Specialist will work independently and display a high level of independent discretion in managing human resource initiatives and multiple confidential projects.
We know how important our employees are to our success, and we encourage our team to be innovative in finding new ways to resolve disputes and improve cooperation between managers and employees through our labour relation practices.
Reports To: VP, People, Culture, and LTC Operations
- Subject matter expert in labour relations, advising leadership teams and executive directors in the interpretation and implementation of local and central collective agreements, employment legislation, labour relations developments, employment standards, and human rights in Ontario ect.
- Represent the organization at grievances, mediations, arbitrations, and collective bargaining as needed to support the homes.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships and partnerships with union partners, clients, and stakeholders and leading with integrity and courage.
- Partnering with home leaders, business leaders, and legal counsel on matters proceeding to mediation/arbitration when needed.
- Monitor and track letters of understanding and analyze and identify trends (e.g., types of grievances, settlements, union priorities) to assist with management decision-making and collective bargaining based on industry trends.
- Develop and deliver education programs for home leadership teams and provide guidance in LR processes and management.
- Support HR Strategic Projects as well as HR and Change Initiatives within the homes.
- Provide advice and guidance to management as needed during labor relations contract negotiations, including drafting proposals and facilitating meetings with union representatives.
- Oversee collective bargaining procedures, including drafting, reviewing, and modifying proposals, verifying legal contract terminology and suggesting additional rules and regulations as necessary.
- Communicate effectively with managers, executive directors daily to create positive working environment, address employee grievances and verify compliance with contractual protocols.
- Analyze current work contracts and human resources policies to determine overall state of employee relations and make innovative changes to improve morale, efficiency, and overall performance.
- Manage labor grievances as needed by investigating circumstances of incident, validity of claims, adherence to contract policies and completion of resolution procedures.
- Coordinate with home leadership teams and other departments to create and sustain positive employee relations and facilitate effective communications between employees and leadership teams.
- Manage and coach leadership on performance and talent management.
- Support the disability management process and coordinate return to work programs (WSIB, Sick Leave, Accommodations etc.)
- Conduct investigations of health & safety and employee relations issues.
- Support organizational engagement and training initiatives, including coordinating employee recognition programs and the orientation process.
- Advise staff and managers on policies and procedures and relevant legislation.
- Manage and audit HR files, and perform HR Compliance Audits on home compliance, and ensure security, integrity, and confidentiality of data.
- Support the recruitment process within the homes during periods of high need and manage the recruitment and talent development initiatives for home level leadership positions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or labour relations or related field
- Minimum 5-year experience in human resources or employee relations experience
- Professional training in labour relations or collective bargaining or investigations is considered an asset to the role.
- Healthcare sector experience preferred, but not required.
- Strong decision-making skills with ability to manage multiple projects at once and deal with competing priorities.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications abilities with conflict resolution experience
- Detail-oriented and focused on delivering results.