Director of Environmental Services – Kitchener Area
peopleCare has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the seventh year in a row! We are a growing family-based organization that provides outstanding care and exceptional experiences in long-term care and retirement living. Our staff are engaged, enthusiastic and strive to exceed expectations. We encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas and are always looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us.
We are also accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest award possible through Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. This distinction is thanks to the efforts of our outstanding team of skilled and dedicated individuals working collaboratively with our partners to drive excellence in operations, care, and services. Noted as a great place to work, other strengths include our investment in leadership development and staff education, high level of engagement in our communities, and building meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships to address staffing shortages and drive positive systemic change.
These are exciting times at peopleCare, as we are growing fast as continue to expand our horizons and seek new opportunities to raise the bar in Changing the World of Senior Living! That’s where your talents and ideas come in! If you enjoy challenges and working with people – and want to create meaningful experiences for our residents, families, staff and partners! – then apply to the great opportunity below!
Responsible for the overall operation of the Maintenance, Housekeeping and Laundry departments to achieve high standards of quality service, cleanliness and sanitation in accordance with legislative requirements and peopleCare policies & procedures and health and safety.
Reports to: Executive Director/Administrator
- Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the work and scheduling of the staff in the Maintenance, Laundry and Housekeeping departments. Establishes and maintains the standards of quality services in compliance with Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Program Standards (as applicable) and peopleCare Policies and Procedures.
- Participates in the hiring, training and orientation process of all three departments.
- Ensures cooperation and team approach with other departments in such tasks as transferring residents, moving and storing supplies and moving furniture and equipment and the provision of laundry and housekeeping services.
- Ensures availability of Emergency on-call contact information.
- Fiscally responsible for department.
- Participates in budget preparation and control process for all three departments. Orders and/or purchases supplies/equipment in accordance with established policies and budgetary constraints.
- Develops and implements Home specific policies and procedures with Management Services regarding quality assurance, fire safety, environment and laundry and housekeeping services.
- Follows department goals and objectives.
- Ensures WHMIS labeling and MSDS sheets are maintained and up to date for all three departments
- Ensures that all Fire Safety Inspections are completed and oversees scheduling, completion and follow up to all fire drills
- Maintains a complete and comprehensive maintenance program for the Home.
- Conducts regular departmental rounds to ensure all safety, emergency, building and support systems are functioning properly.
- Develops specific procedures, work patterns and routines, for Home, such as: preventative maintenance checklists, delivering supplies, and the removal of garbage, laundry routines, janitorial and housekeeping routines.
- Participates in committee meetings such as Infection Control, Quality Management, Occupational Health and Safety as required.
- Establishes and maintains communications with other departments and works cooperatively in carrying out duties to assure the needs of residents are being met.
- Ensures the privacy and respect for residents is maintained during performance of departmental duties.
- Maintains work area in a clean, orderly, and safe manner and assures proper care and safety in use of tools, equipment and supplies.
- Maintains all required records in accordance with policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Regular written performance appraisals completed yearly on environmental staff.
- Approval of recorded employee hours.
- Observes and monitors all areas of the Home for ongoing maintenance requirements and organizes preventative maintenance programs and documentation.
- Ensures proper mechanical maintenance of equipment, and repairs to plumbing and electrical systems such as repairing electrical switches, replacing tap washers, replacing belts, lubricating motors and hinges.
- Ensures proper and timely completion of typical work such as replacing fuses and light bulbs, repairing call bells, clearing drains, repairing beds, chairs, tables etc., painting and redecorating, replacing tiles and removing garbage.
- Determines scope of work, receives cost estimates and refers problems requiring specialized work such as electrical or plumbing to outside contractors and monitors work performed.
- Liaises with outside service contractors and inspectors to assure equipment and environment conforms to applicable codes and regulations.
- Ensures high standards in completing outside work such as gardening, cutting grass, maintaining patio areas, removing snow and sanding or salting as required.
- Maintains required records, reports, statistics, preventative maintenance logs, equipment service logs, and repair request books etc., in accordance with policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Maintains effective Waste Management Program.
- Ensure that the housekeeping and laundry services provided by the Home are efficient and meet Ministry standards and guidelines (as applicable).
- Conducts inventory counts as per peopleCare policy and reviews inventory supplies on regular basis to ensure appropriate resources are available to each department.
- Instructs housekeeping and laundry staff in the safe use of equipment, cleaning and washing agents and in proper cleaning techniques/methods.
- Ensures the departments maintains the Home in a clean and sanitary fashion
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
- Promotes wellness as a concept of living
- Functions under general guidance.
- Signing authority as directed.
- Access to highly confidential information.
- Recommends and acts upon the mandate of the Executive Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 years progressive related experience
- College Diploma in a related field or equivalent
- Building Environmental Systems – BES Operator Class I is considered an asset
- Communication: listening, oral, presentation and written
- Strengths: Problem solving, negotiating, assertiveness, objectivity, budgeting, organizing and planning
- Knowledge of HVAC equipment, computerized building management systems, electrical systems distribution, fire alarm and sprinkler systems including operation of and testing requirements, emergency diesel generator operations,
- Computer skills including Excel/Word/Outlook
- Ability to read and interpret building prints and drawings