What is Long-Term Care and how is it different from Retirement Homes? Long-Term Care (LTC) Homes are funded, licensed, monitored & regulated by the Ontario Government.  LTC Homes provide much more nursing & medical care and rehab services then retirement homes.  Retirement homes are privately owned and operated. They are suitable for seniors who do not require nursing care, although it may be available at an extra charge. Meals, laundry and other help may be provided. You will need to discuss the service available and the cost for these services with the Administrator of the home.


What are your rates and who pays for what?

Rates for LTC homes are established annually by the Ontario Ministry of Health.  The province pays for approximately 65% of the costs for LTC and the resident pays for the remaining 35% and rates are based on a residents ability to pay.

[Click here for Current MoHLTC Rate Information]

[Click here for the OLTCA "Who Pays for What?" PDF document]

 

For more information on Understanding Your Options, Eligibility and Admission to LTC and Choosing a Home
visit the Ontario Association of Community Care Access Centres (OACCAC) website to find a CCAC near you. [www.oaccac.on.ca]


What to expect when moving into Long-Term Care?

Knowing what to expect can make the move more successful.
[Click here for a great article from the Ontario Long Term Care Association (OLTCA)]


Getting more Informed and Getting Heard

Ontario's long term care homes have many ways to help you get your questions answered and any concerns addressed.  Knowing what these are will help you make informed decisions.
[Click here for a great article from the Ontario Long Term Care Association (OLTCA)]